Annons

Körer à la Queen, Def Leppard, etc.

BaldByChoice

Annons

Ett mixningstips som använts inom en hel del pojkband för att få det låta lite mer "glitter" eller vad man ska kalla det är att lägga 4 dubbar. En 100% panorerat höger, en 50% panorerat, en 50% panorerat vänster och en 100%panorerat vänster. Sen tar du t ex. den som ligger 100% panorerat höger och lägger en kopia 100% panorerat vänster och fasvänder den.

Kan ge en riktigt grym körbild som låter lite extra slickt. Aldrig provat det själv men tipset kom från en gammal lärare. Tror det var så han instruerade det, men min hjärna är fan fortfarande bakfull sen 48h tillbaka... 🙂

Dela på andra sajter

Ett mixningstips som använts inom en hel del pojkband för att få det låta lite mer "glitter" eller vad man ska kalla det är att lägga 4 dubbar. En 100% panorerat höger, en 50% panorerat, en 50% panorerat vänster och en 100%panorerat vänster. Sen tar du t ex. den som ligger 100% panorerat höger och lägger en kopia 100% panorerat vänster och fasvänder den.

Kan ge en riktigt grym körbild som låter lite extra slickt. Aldrig provat det själv men tipset kom från en gammal lärare. Tror det var så han instruerade det, men min hjärna är fan fortfarande bakfull sen 48h tillbaka... 🙂

Hur gör jag för att fasvända?

Dela på andra sajter

Sen tar du t ex. den som ligger 100% panorerat höger och lägger en kopia 100% panorerat vänster och fasvänder den.

!? Då kommer ju kören försvinna om man lyssnar i mono. Nä, ett dubdelay på sin höjd, fasvänd inte.

Det handlar mest om att sjunga "rätt" och stabilt och tajt med sig själv.

Dela på andra sajter

Sen tar du t ex. den som ligger 100% panorerat höger och lägger en kopia 100% panorerat vänster och fasvänder den.

!? Då kommer ju kören försvinna om man lyssnar i mono. Nä, ett dubdelay på sin höjd, fasvänd inte.

Det handlar mest om att sjunga "rätt" och stabilt och tajt med sig själv.

Och göra det många gånger. Tips kan vara att lika lite med eqs hit och dit för att inte få allt för knasiga fasfel.

Dela på andra sajter

tsmalmbe (oregistrerad)

Jag brukar köra flere spår, på olika sätt sjungna. I olika stämmor. Lite nasalsång. Sen skär du bort låga frekvenser, -6db från 140Hz t.ex. Sen kan du leka med upward compression - lägg originaltracket lågt och summera till en mycket hårt komprimerad signal till den (låg threshold). Kör hela kören till en group, och komprimera mera. Lägg till delayer på de individuella spåren, och ett passligt reverb på groupkanalen. Som eq brukar jag använda Kjaerhus grafiska gratiseq (insert på varje kanal), för med den tappar man inte bort sig, och det är lätt att ställa in olika och man får bra överblick. För invecklad eq ger dåliga resultat pga det blir svårt att ha koll på helheten. Med delayerna kan det vara bäst, men mest arbetsdrygt, att lägga flere olika monodelay som du panorerar olika ut i stereobilden. T.ex spåret på 80% Left, och monodelayet på 80% Right. Du hamnar förstås köra en hel del olikapanorerade monodelay-effekter för att behandla alla spår. Denna kör blir ganska massiv.

Detaljerna ställer du sen in enligt genre, smak och tycke.

Redigerat av tsmalmbe
Dela på andra sajter

OK. Ha obegränsat med pengar, Mutt Langes galna idéer och sanslöst bra mixing engineers... Saxat av en annan snubbe på nätet från en intervju med Mike Shipley (Mixing engineer, producer. )

Search google for"Mike Shipley." He did the engineering on those albums and on some forum I looked at a while ago he posted a very detailed explanation of this. I pasted it into a word document, here it is, copied from that. Hope it doesn't violate any rules or anythign, the quote is from Mike Shipley.

For the Def Leppard backing vocals on "pour some sugar" we layered 3 people singing in unison on 20 tracks..bounce them to one track..do another 20 tracks and bounce them to one track....EQ'ing heavily on the bounces ..then we would repeat the process..we would rebounce the vocals a few times ..taking out the offensive frequencies very heavily on a narrow bandwidth first the honky frequency build up , then the shrill middle freq. the same way so the sound ends up kind of "concave" sounding with a lot of smooth high end.

One of the biggest parts of the sound though , is how Mutt would make everyone over emphasize the diction of the words...hard to explain...being animated in the pronunciation of the words gets the sound of the those B/V's....so does how tight the tracking up is...but by that record , Mutt and the Leps had had a lot of practice in tracking up vocals. With some of the 4 part harmonies we would end up with had such a distinct sound 'cos of Mutts voice. We would actually wear the tape out on the 2" because of playing and replaying the tape for months and months and......months.

We would not use reverb on the B/V's ..but I would use multi tap delays to thicken and widen the sound as much as I could..but of course , even more eq in the mix!

Hope this helps.

P.S ..."back then" we didnt have samplers and working out the offsets for the tape machines to fly the vocals was such a pain in the ass !!!

On their previous album I had to fly the vocals in to the choruses from half inch..two tracks at a time for however many pairs there were for all the harmonies and fitting it all on 24 tracks !!!

I don't take Protools for granted these days!!

I also used to have to fly in Queen's B/Vs as an assistant engineer and that was really very tricky because of so many overlapping parts its so different to how we do it now "cut and paste " wasn't even in the English language yet !!!

Shan....you are gonna laugh at this,but on both Pyromania and Hysteria we never used any mic pre's other than what were in the SSL 4K we had. Admittedly it was one of the early hand built SSl's so it had a much differend sound than whe SSL got so popular and stopped the hand building and used different parts etc. for the 4K.

For vocals we used a u67 and a good old 1176. Everything ....gtrs , drums ,vocals etc were all with the SSL pre's , we would just struggle with what we had and try to make everything sound as" un" natural as we could on purpose 'cos we knew we could make records the right way and get "natural'' sounds of drums and gtr's but we always go for something different with Mutt..and spend as long as it takes to get it..and that can be a while. The funny thing about it all was coming to the U.S. to work and the reaction from a lot of engineers and producers here in L.A was that "how dare you f**k with how records should be made" This was back in the mid 80's tho....and L.A was the home of pristine , by the book recording techniques. But the records did well and Mutt wanted to make records for the the kids next door who had just gone and seen Star Wars which was so much larger than life and would also like something different with their music ..that was his theory and he was pretty much right. He always wanted me to come up with"larger than life" (which means a blend of natural and un natural) sounds "cos he knew that kids could hear a difference, but it took a lot of messing around and experimenting to get the "total sound" we were after but it was amazing being given so much freedom to try things. Anyway Shan.sorry for the rant...hope that helps .

Detta är direkt från Shipley "himself" från ett forum som han besökte.

Hello........well to get the vocals on Animal and other songs

we tracked each harmony about 20 times.the bounced them down to a stereo pair.eq'in along the way....then continued with each harmony,.....usually a 3 part......but we would rebounce the stero pairs to get rid of the bottom end and honk build up......but we would make sure that the intonation was great on each pass..this kind of sound can really only be gotten by having just 2 people sing all the harmonies......some times we would to 20 tracks of one harmony.bounce them down to 1 track..do 20 tracks.....bounce down to 1 track to get the stereo pair...actually now i remember .this was mostly the case....there was a lot of re-bouncing to get the sound we wanted .eq'ing each time..but you cant get tat kind of sound on digital.it just doesnt work

Peace shipley

BTW.I forgot to add that Mutt would kind of exagerate the enunciation of the words.in an almost animated way...so as to get real character into the parts.and after alot of tracking.......it would sound very different than just singing the part and moving on...you should have seen some of the faces they would make to get certain words to sound a different way!!!!!!.I gotta say tho.that it was a lot of fun to do....

Peace.shipley

Information om grabben finns här Mike Shipley

Har jag nämnt att jag är en stooor fan av Mutt Lange...? 😱

Dela på andra sajter

Bli medlem (kostnadsfritt) eller logga in för att kommentera

Du behöver vara medlem för att delta i communityn

Bli medlem (kostnadsfritt)

Bli medlem kostnadsfritt i vår community genom att registrera dig. Det är enkelt och kostar inget!

Bli medlem nu (kostnadsfritt)

Logga in

Har du redan en inloggning?
Logga in här.

Logga in nu
  • Skapa ny...