FabFilter releases FabFilter Volcano 3
AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands, November 18, 2021. Volcano 3 sees the introduction of a completely reimagined interface, a raft of new vintage-style filter shapes, per-filter saturation control, full visualization of modulation sources and targets, and much more. With its smooth workflow, no-limits flexibility, and dazzlingly authentic analog sound, it’s the first-call plugin for creative filtering.
Beautiful new interface and improved workflow
FabFilter has redesigned Volcano 3 from the ground up to make it more intuitive and immediate, while at the same time introducing a wealth of new features, and dramatically improving visualization of audio and modulation signals. The new filter display speeds up workflow with the selection of multiple filters at once, and presents a unified response curve with stereo separation, as well as a high-resolution spectrum display. Modulation signals are now visualized at both sources and targets with animated collars, while the source flow area gives an eye- catching overview of all active modulations, and floating slot panels enable collective balancing of all sources modulating the currently selected control. The darker color scheme is easier on the eye over long sessions, and when it’s time to really get into details, the gorgeous new full screen mode maximizes the filtering workspace.
Characterful new filters
The beating heart of Volcano is, of course, its bank of four analog-modeled filters. Expanding on the already- established High-, Low-, and Band-Pass types, Volcano 3 more than doubles the options with the addition of vintage-style Bell, High/Low Shelf, Notch, and All-Pass modes. Just like the original trio, these are all highly non- linear for a palpably analog sound, and can be switched through an array of sonic colorations using Volcano’s transformative Style settings. Each filter also now incorporates its own variable saturation circuit, further increasing the character-shaping potential, along with a 6 dB/octave slope option, and independent volume and pan controls bring a whole new level of depth to parallel routing setups.§
And much more
Beyond its stunning redesigned interface and versatile new filter types, Volcano 3 is erupting with useful new functional additions, refinements, and tweaks. Many of these are to be found in the modulation section, such as adjustable Attack, Decay, and Release curves for the Envelope Generator, a transient detection mode for the Envelope Follower, and the new Slider — a vertical-only variant on the XY Controller. Then there’s the new High Quality (4x oversampling) processing mode, four interface size options, the ability to rename modulation sources, and a full overhaul of the preset library, taking advantage of Volcano 3’s new filter types and features.
- Up to four simultaneous filters, each drawing on an extensive range of modes and styles for an infinite palette of coloration
- Wide variety of parallel, serial, and hybrid routing schemes in Stereo, L/R, and M/S modes
- Fully redesigned, highly streamlined interface
- Rebuilt filter control panel, including selection and adjustment of multiple filters at once, integrated spectrum analyzer, and optional piano display
- Even better sounding filter algorithms
- Independent Drive control for each filter
- Vintage-style Bell, High/Low Shelf, Notch, and All-Pass filter modes, and extra 6 dB/octave slope option
- Per-filter level and pan controls
- Endless modulation options, with as many 16-step XLFOs, XY controllers, envelope generators, envelope followers, and MIDI sources as desired
- New real-time modulation visualization of both targets and sources, and floating slot panels on all targets
- High Quality (4x oversampling) mode
- Curve shaping of Attack, Decay, and Release Envelope Generator stages
- Envelope Follower transient detection mode
- Resizable interface with full-screen mode
- Carefully designed and curated factory presets, plus support for earlier Volcano presets
- All the usual features FabFilter users have come to expect: perfectly fine-tuned knobs and controllers, interactive MIDI Learn, undo/redo and A/B switch, Smart Parameter Interpolation for smooth parameter transitions, an extensive help file with interactive help hints, sample accurate automation, SSE optimization, and more
FabFilter Volcano 3 is now available for EUR 109, USD 129 or GBP 94, supporting both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Volcano 3 and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at: www.fabfilter.com/shop
Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to FabFilter Volcano 3 with very attractive discounts by logging into their online user account: www.fabfilter.com/myaccount
For iOS users, FabFilter Volcano 3 is also available as an AUv3 plug-in via the App Store.
System requirements are either Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) and a VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools, or macOS 10.12 or higher (64-bit only) with Intel or Apple Silicon processor, and an Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools.
To make self-quarantine just a little bit easier during the COVID-19 pandemic, FabFilter offers free 30-day evaluation extensions for all their plug-ins, including Volcano 3.
Evaluation copies are available at: www.fabfilter.com/download.
Beautiful sound. Fantastic workflow. These are the foundations of FabFilter. Continually challenging and rethinking industry standards, FabFilter creates powerful audio plug-ins with superb sound quality and innovative interfaces. FabFilter was founded in 2002 by Frederik Slijkerman and Floris Klinkert, and is based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.