January 7, 2020 (Port Jefferson Station, NY) – The Supro Conquistador is a retro-future fantasy instrument, designed in conjunction with Nashville-based guitarist Ford Thurston. The concept for this guitar originated with the idea of taking a traditional Supro double-cut body shape, and proportionally increasing the body dimensions to match Ted McCarty’s groundbreaking semi-hollow 335 design.
The Conquistador’s mahogany body features a single, stylized “f-hole” on the upper bout and a gentle bevel along the outer edge for player comfort. A three-piece bound mahogany neck with 24.75” scale, 12” radius and smooth satin finish is topped off with an elegant black “stinger”—located on the back of an enlarged headstock with 3-per-side Kluson-style tuners. The Conquistador is also equipped with a genuine Bigsby B7 vibrato system and nylon-saddle bridge.
The custom electronics package found on the Conquistador combines a mini-humbucker-sized Gold Foil pickup in the neck—for woody single-coil tones—with an Alnico 3 PAF-style humbucker for vintage clarity, sparkle and bite in the bridge position. A 3-way blade switch is joined by individual volume controls for each pickup and a master tone control, all topped with Hofner-style creme/gold “teacup” knobs. The Conquistador features a “50’s wiring” scheme that preserves top-end sparkle when rolling the pickup volumes down, greatly enhancing the range of usable sounds in comparison to typical production guitars.
The Supro Clermont model draws from the same well of golden-era, semi-hollow inspiration, featuring all-Maple, flat-top construction with 3-ply body binding and a lovely Aqua Burst finish. National-style “bowtie” fretboard inlays and white binding finish off the 3-piece black satin maple neck. The Clermont offers a wide-range of crystal clear single-coil sounds from a calibrated pair of mini-humbucker-sized Gold Foil pickups on a 3-way toggle switch.
The elegant lines, thoughtful hardware appointments and custom electronics of the Supro Conquistador and Clermont guitars come together to create a world-class pair of semi-hollow instruments. These guitars handle a wide variety of musical situations from indie rock to surf instrumentals, Western swing, jazz, blues, country and everything in between. While clearly possessing a unique set of tonal and visual aesthetics, the stylish body contours enable these Supro instruments to fit perfectly into a 335-style hardshell case.
- Maple semi-hollow body with center block
- 3-piece Maple neck with black satin finish
- 24.75″-scale-length set neck
- Pau Ferro fretboard
- National-inspired “bowtie inlays”
- Bigsby B7 vibrato
- Mini-humbucker-sized Gold Foil pickups
- 2x volume control / 1x tone control
- 50’s wiring stays bright when volume is rolled off
- "Hofner Tea Cup"-style knobs
- Aqua-burst finish with matching back and side
- Mahogany Semi-Hollow body with center block
- 3-piece Mahogany Neck with Natural Satin Finish
- 24.75″ Scale Length set neck
- Pau Ferro Fretboard
- Bigsby B7 Vibrato
- Alnico 3 PAF Bridge Humbucker with brushed Nickel Cover
- Mini-humbucker Gold Foil Neck Pickup
- 2x Volume control / 1x Tone control
- 50’s Wiring stays bright when volume is rolled off
- "Hofner Tea-cup" style knobs
Trans British Racing Green finish with natural Mahogany back and sides
The Supro Conquistador and Clermont guitars are now shipping to dealers worldwide with a MAP price of $999.